Comfort

This week, my step-father Ed's mom passed away. Even though she has been in the hospital for over a month, it still seemed quite sudden, and we were all taken by surprise.

Yesterday was her memorial service and reception, both of which were quite hard on Ed. Eamon noticed this, and went over to comfort his deydushka (Russian for "grandfather").

Eamon: "Deydushka, why are you sad?"

Ed: "Because I lost my Mama."

Eamon: "But you still have us."

With this closing comment, naturally, Ed lost it.

I thought this was an interesting observation for a 4 year old to make. The idea that life goes on, and even though you have lost someone very dear to you, there are others who love and support you, and want to help you through your grief. It was especially interesting, considering the fact that Eamon had no idea what it meant to be a part of a family until a year ago.

We felt very proud of both Eamon and Vika yesterday. They did so many little things to offer comfort to the family, and seemed to understand things a bit more than other children their age. Perhaps their own, very early experiences with loss gave them a greater sense of empathy? I'm not sure. But their love and concern for both Ed and his father were truly touching to see.
10 Responses
  1. Melissa Says:

    thats so wonderful that they were so caring toward everyone.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    You have great kids. But I guess you knew that. I agree, something about their own experiences make them wise beyond their years. However, having been shown the extent of unconditional love by parents who set good examples has alot to do with it too.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    That's wonderful. You have two very special kids.

    I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I'm sorry for your family. I was thinking the same thing about them understanding loss. I also think it says good things about their security that they were empathetic and didn't have their own crisis.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Wow. What a wonderful demonstration of the fact that they know what it means to be a family.

    Wishing you peace.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Sorry for your loss. What a special moment with Eamon. How wonderful to see just how well they are doing being home with you.


  7. Anonymous Says:

    tried many times to post a comment, here it goes again...

    I am really sorry for your families loss, even death's expected by the brain can be very unexpected by the heart...

    I think your children will probably have a very good sense of empathy, not only because of their early expriences, but because they have a great teacher who is teaching them emotional intelligence, to be kind, caring, and empathetic.

    Thinking of you.


  8. Jennefer Says:

    What a cutie! He is already so wise. You have taught him well!


  9. 6blessings Says:

    That's beautiful. What wonderful children!!


  10. Anonymous Says:

    I'm so sorry to hear about Ed's mom. I never met her, but Ed is such a sweet guy. Please tell him I'm thinking of him.

    And that Eamon is so sweet. Your kids are both wise beyond their years and I love that about them. You and Jeff should be proud of the kids and yourselves. It's a reflection on you both, that they've come so far.