A Porcelain Trap
"Mama!!! HELP!!!" I heard Vika yell from the bathroom, so I rushed up to see what was wrong. When I got to the door, I saw my child practically folded into the toilet. Her bottom was completely submerged in the porcelain bowl, with her legs, torso and arms coming out the top. She was frantically trying to push herself out with her feet kicking and a strained look on her face.
Upon seeing this, I stopped dead in my tracks, both horrified and amused by the scene. Vika then stopped her struggles, looked at me and said, "I'm stuck." At that point, she also began to see the humor in the situation, and a self-mocking smile spread over her face. That was all it took for me to burst out in laughter. She rolled her eyes and began laughing a bit too, and I grabbed her hand to help pull her out.
As I was cleaning her off I could see that the toilet seat was left up by Eamon, who had used the bathroom a few minutes earlier.
"Really?" I thought. "He's going to start doing THAT now?" Naively I believed that we were building good bathroom habits from the very start. I certainly never encourage him to put the toilet seat up when going to the bathroom. I mean, is that really necessary? If a guy can write his name in the snow, I figure his aim should be good enough to get into the slightly smaller hole created when the toilet seat is left down.
Sadly, despite all my efforts, my son seems to have picked up the nasty habit anyway. It must be genetic. That darn defective Y chromosome, messing things up yet again.
Poor Vika was the first victim. My only hope now is that Eamon will fall into his own "trap" next. Maybe then he will learn from natural consequences why it is best to put the toilet seat down!
Upon seeing this, I stopped dead in my tracks, both horrified and amused by the scene. Vika then stopped her struggles, looked at me and said, "I'm stuck." At that point, she also began to see the humor in the situation, and a self-mocking smile spread over her face. That was all it took for me to burst out in laughter. She rolled her eyes and began laughing a bit too, and I grabbed her hand to help pull her out.
As I was cleaning her off I could see that the toilet seat was left up by Eamon, who had used the bathroom a few minutes earlier.
"Really?" I thought. "He's going to start doing THAT now?" Naively I believed that we were building good bathroom habits from the very start. I certainly never encourage him to put the toilet seat up when going to the bathroom. I mean, is that really necessary? If a guy can write his name in the snow, I figure his aim should be good enough to get into the slightly smaller hole created when the toilet seat is left down.
Sadly, despite all my efforts, my son seems to have picked up the nasty habit anyway. It must be genetic. That darn defective Y chromosome, messing things up yet again.
Poor Vika was the first victim. My only hope now is that Eamon will fall into his own "trap" next. Maybe then he will learn from natural consequences why it is best to put the toilet seat down!

As soon as I saw the title, I knew what was coming and I laughed. I guess all kids have to go through this at some point. at least she was able to laugh at herself.
I hate to laugh, but that really is funny!
Wow... is that what I have to look forward to? Yippee! and I was so looking forward to having a potty trained son. Hmmmmm?
You absolutely amaze me! Such an incredible Mom that you can teach your child to laugh at herself. Such an inspiration!
HEY!
No EVERY guys does this!!!
:)
My Thought!!!
At least her CHOOSE to raise the seat instead of getting it wet for the next person!!!
I think he should get a pat on the back!!
(and then be taught that the seat must go back down! If not then he gets to clean up hmself! I grew up in a house FULL of girls, four stepsisters, all older!)
:)
So, Babette and I are sitting here drinking wine and reading this blog and cracking up. Eamon is such a boy. But leaving the seat up is not cool. Yes, hopefully he falls in some day, too.
Those boys.
Poor Vika!
Funny, Vika. She'll be thrilled to read about this adventure on the internet when she's sixteen!
The real question is, is it better to check to make sure the seat is down or sit in pee spray?
I vote against pee spray.
Yes, I am against pee spray too. I definitely want the guys to raise the seat but it is best when they put it back down when they are done.
We have an interesting method at our house. We always leave the lid on the toilets closed when not in use, since we have two cats and I don't like it when they play in the water. So everyone here has the responsibility of putting the lid (and the seat, for the guys) down. Of course, the little guys are not potty training yet, but their time will come and I will attempt to train them accordingly.
ick! poor vika!! i'm glad she was able to laugh about it. isn't it fun having brothers?
I have to laugh at this one too. However, I'm slightly disappointed that you didn't rush to grab the camera. Not so much to post, but for future embarrassment. You can see what kind of mom I am.
Too funny! I never understood why guys did that. I'm in trouble because right now I'm the only woman in this house!
I feel guilty laughing...really I do! The only saving grace at our house is that I require the lid to be put back over the seat after each use. This means the user has to reach down to pull it up before using the seat. Sometimes it's the little things that save ya!
that cracked me up ;)
I totally agree about why on earth they have to put the toilet seat up!
I don't feel one bit guilty laughing ...because I was once Vika, and after the initial splash, thought it was hilarious! Tiny tushies just have too much wiggle room on the uncovered bowl. I still laugh about it, and warn my friends' little girls to always check that the seat's down!