He Lost It

Eamon lost his first tooth this weekend! He casually mentioned to me on Thursday morning that he had to be careful when he ate because he had a loose tooth. I asked to feel it, thinking it would be as well rooted as ever, but to my surprise, the tooth was so loose that it was practically falling out of his head! What a difference from Vika, who, let's face it, can be a bit dramatic at times. With her first loose tooth, we had to endure weeks of her wiggling the thing (she began as soon as she detected the slightest bit of movement), asking when it would come out, and speculating on how much money the tooth fairy would leave her (for the record, it's $2 for the first tooth, $1 for every tooth thereafter).

Finally, the tooth became so loose that it was time to pull it out. Jeff attached a hemostat to the tooth, placed Eamon's fingers around it, and asked him to push the clamp away from his mouth. That way Eames was in control and could stop if he got scared or it hurt. Well, he pushed really hard and just yanked the thing out like a champ! Then, he saw the blood... His little face went pale, and his legs began shaking. He walked around for the next 5 minutes with his mouth held rigidly open (if he closed it, he might taste blood) and gauze squeezed between his teeth. I guess he has a bit of the drama queen (drama king?) in him as well.

Here he is, the gap-toothed version of my son. Since the boy is incapable of smiling normally or standing still for a picture, this is the best I could get:

8 Responses
  1. kate Says:

    That's a great pic!

    One teacher at school loves to pull teeth. I can't do it. I just tell them to twist.


  2. Sandi Says:

    Dang, all I got for a tooth was a stinking quarter!


  3. Melissa Says:

    Sandi, that is all I got too. He looks so cute in the pic. Wow your kids are growing up way too fast. I hope I have a few more years before the tooth falls


  4. Maggie Says:

    Congratulations Eamon!

    When I lost my first tooth, I passed out down in the basement and woke up to the dog licking my face. So I think Eamon was incredibly brave.


  5. Tami Says:

    What a cutie! I just love my kids toothless grins! :)


  6. Bella Says:

    Way to go Eamon!

    He looks so grown up!


  7. Mandy Lou Says:

    That is such a great picture - nothing like a toothless grin!


  8. tunia Says:

    He looks Darn Cute! :)