School Days!

Today Vika began Kindergarten. We woke up early (sadly, we did not get the afternoon class, as requested), and got her dressed in her new school clothes. She is way into Hello Kitty right now, so we bought her a Hello Kitty backpack and folders, and my friend Jaime got her a Hello Kitty lunch box, pencils and eraser. Everything a 5 year old needs on her first day of school! Unfortunately, Vika is currently "overloaded," which means that she is one of the 30 kids for which her school currently does not have room. She and the other "overloads" will spend their first week of school in the Library, being taught by a teacher named "TBA." I've put in a transfer request to get her into the school where I student taught and where I do most of my substitute teaching. I've been told that they have room for her, so hopefully that will work out.

I would like to say that this is a sad occasion for me, having her "leave the nest" and all. But, honestly, after the craziness of the last two days (things did not really improve on Tuesday), I'm kind of looking forward to the break! Also, now that she has been home for 9 months, with very limited contact with other children, I think she is going to welcome the opportunity to hang out with kids her age. It will be interesting to see how Eamon reacts to having Vika gone during the day. So far, he is eating it up! Of course, she's only been gone for an hour, so that could change. I'm looking forward to hanging out with Eamon alone a bit though. It may give us a chance to bond in new ways since I won't have to divide my time between him and his sister.

I hope Vika is enjoying herself in kindergarten and that it won't be too difficult a transition for her when she is overloaded to her new school. I look forward to hearing all about her day when I pick her up at 11:20 am.
8 Responses
  1. Irma Says:

    TOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!! Overload sucks. Usually kids will find a spot before the end of the week. I should know. I used to do the overload classes. School! It is here isn't it? Let us know how it went as I am off to meet my students at my classroom too. We are finalizing our activities for our academy.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I have never heard of this overload thing. How horrible. What a way to not make these new kids feel special. I hope she gets into the other school. Can she get afternoon kindergarten there? I loved afternoon.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I meant to also say that Vika looks very cute and ready for school in the pic. I think she will love being with new kids and having new experiences and Eamon will be so spoiled to have you all for himself!


  4. Jenni Says:

    UPDATE: Vika had a wonderful time at school and her teacher said she did great. After school, we picked up Jeff and the 4 of us went out for a "first day of school lunch." All in all, a successful day. Fortunately, she seems OK with the idea of going to the other school, especially since it is the place where I teach most often. So, keep your fingers crossed that they have room for her!


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Wow. School? That's so exciting! And she is so well-decked out with Hello Kitty too. I'm a little jealous. I'm sure today was both difficult and fun for you. What an emotional roller coaster you've been on the last few days. Hang in there!


  6. Melissa Says:

    Oh I cant wait to hear about her first day! That is horrible that her school is so crowded. They need to add schools to your district. One good thing, usually half way through the year, the morning and afternoon classes switch times. So at least half the year, it won't be early rising.:) She looks adorable.


  7. Melissa Says:

    oops i just read your update. I will keep my fingers crossed.


  8. Maggie Says:

    She looks so cute! I'm glad she had a good time. Good luck with the transfer!