A Free Weekend


In honor of Jeff's birthday and Valentine's Day, we decided to drop the kids off at Babushka's house and take a mini-break. We had such wonderful plans... go see an adult grown-up* movie, have a romantic dinner out, wake up early and have a nice breakfast. Then Jeff got sick. He has caught Vika and Eamon's cold (which I am still fighting off), so most of our plans had to be modified a bit.

Instead of going to a movie, we decided to take a nice walk through a local wildlife preserve. It was a beautiful day, and it was wonderful to be able to hike without a child dragging you back by the hand (thus increasing the amount of work your body has to do to go uphill) or the usual complaints of, "Mama, my knees are huhr-ting." We saw a bunch of birds, some ground squirrels (at least, that's what I think they were), and a ton of bumble bees. Nothing too exciting, but it still made for a nice afternoon.

We followed up our hike with a trip to Pasta Pomodoro for dinner, and then we headed back home to watch "Miracle Match," a DVD we got from Netflix. The movie was a bit cheesy, but since it combined two of my favorite things, soccer and Gerald Butler, I didn't much mind.

All in all, it was a nice little break from parenting. Plus, the kids had a great time with Babushka and Dedushka, and are already asking when they can spend the night again. Hopefully that means there will be more mini-breaks to recharge in the future.

I hope you all had a great President's Day Weekend!

*edited to appease (e)'s gutter-mind. :)
6 Responses
  1. Arlene Says:

    I'm so glad you guys had fun, and some alone time to be a couple :-) I read about the adventures of the Babushka :-)


  2. Calico Sky Says:

    So glad that you have a nice time, and a good break! You sure did deserve it, and how wonderful V and E had a great time with their grandparents.


  3. Deb Says:

    Sounds like a great recharge/romantic day. Glad you had fun.


  4. silent (e) Says:

    That's DISGUSTING!!!! How rude you flaunting your desire to see an ADULT MOVIE!!

    [snicker] [chortle] LOL [guffaw]

    Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

    You can delete this comment if you like.

    :)

    (e)


  5. Jenni Says:

    OMG Matte, I totally did not even THINK of that! I was thinking more along the lines of something without furry animals or talking cars!

    Once again, I have been caught in an unintended innuendo. Leave it to a guy to point that out...


  6. 6blessings Says:

    Glad you guys had a getaway. Those are so important and so needed.