A few updates

  • The turkey - it tasted really good, but was a little dry. So much for Martha Stewart's instructions to cook it at 450 degrees for an hour. The good news is that I probably won't have to cook a turkey again for quite a while (and only if Jeff is somehow incapacitated). The stuffing was excellent though, and the kids were very impressed with my culinary efforts.
  • The post-placement visit - this was just strange. We had a different social worker, and she didn't score high on personality points. First of all, she didn't talk much. I introduced everyone in our family, paused for a moment... waiting... waiting... and then finally jumped in and provided her name to Jeff and the kids when the silence became awkward. Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I hate awkward silences. I usually start babbling nonsense just to fill them up - it's not pretty. Well, let's just say there was a lot of babbling going on during this visit. The social worker also hadn't read the post-placement reports I meticulously put together for both Vika and Eamon. I printed out copies for her at the house, which she merely glanced at, and then turned over to make notes on the back. She had absolutely no questions for us and even fewer for the kids. Poor Vika and Eamon stood there staring at her, waiting for some kind of interaction. Finally Eamon said, "Uh, when are you ever going to come see our rooms?" I had to smother a laugh at that one. The worst thing is that she kind of became "the guest that wouldn't leave." When she returned downstairs after checking out the kids' rooms, Jeff and I remained standing, trying to give subtle clues that the visit was now over. She took the hint and we all breathed a sigh of relief.
  • Parent-Teacher Conferences - I've discovered that I don't much like these, regardless of which side of the table I'm sitting on. Luckily on the teacher side, I only had one challenging parent this year (She wants me to get her daughter excluded from STAR testing because she thinks the pressure is too much for her. With the current state of education, all I can say is, "Good luck with that!" ). As a parent, it was more difficult. Both kids have academic shortcomings, partly due to their lives before adoption. Their teachers expect us to do a lot of work with them after school. But honestly, when I get home at 5:30 pm after teaching other people's kids all day, then last thing I want to do is spend the 2 hours I have with Vika and Eamon drilling them on the sight words. I probably lose points as both a teacher and a parent for that sentiment, but oh well. I'll spend my time talking with the kids over the dinner table instead.
Finally, HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone! I hope you have a great one with good food and excellent company.

4 Responses
  1. Tami Says:

    Amen on the homework! We have so much homework this year we NEVER get done before two hours are up (three kids). Its a shame...and quite frankly I'm SICK of it! Sigh. I don't think its ever going to go away though.
    Your homestudy sounds like our last one. Although we had a SW that didn't know what she was doing. That made it even more fun.
    Sounds like you did a great job of making Thanksgiving Dinner. ;>)


  2. Sandi Says:

    I'm surprised that either of the kids has any problems in school. I mean, the other night at dinner Eamon just piped up and said, "Five and Five is Ten!" So obviously education is constantly on his mind.


  3. Unknown Says:

    Awww, I love that picture of the kiddos!

    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.


  4. kate Says:

    A GORGEOUS photo!!

    You know, if you were teaching here and decided to have Vika repeat second grade she'd be in MY class next year...