Getting Busy

Things have been a bit hectic around here lately, but it's been a good hectic. I have gotten a job as a 6th grade teacher for the coming school year, and have been scrambling around quite a bit trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with 30 11 year olds on a full-time basis!

I will be in a position to mold young minds. I know, I've been in that position since adopting Vika and Eamon, but these are other people's kids we're talking about. Other children will be exposed to me, in all my freakishness, on a daily basis, and may even take on some of my mannerisms. God help them. Hopefully they will learn somethings about math, science and ancient history as well.

I'll only be in this position for a year. The regular 6th grade teacher is taking this academic year off because she is going to China to adopt a little boy (she has a beautiful little girl who she also adopted form China a few years ago). I'm hoping she'll stop by with the little guy, once they get all settled in at home.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how much I can change her room without ticking her off. The front of her desk is covered with political bumper stickers. Most of them I agree with, but I'm not one to advertise my politics to students because I want them to make decisions for themselves. The sticker which states, "Television is Drugs" is DEFINITELY coming off! If television is drugs, then I've been a lifelong addict (my current drug of choice, "Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel).

I'm really excited about going to work full-time as a teacher, but nervous too. Part of my nervousness comes from the idea of being responsible for an entire classroom - managing pre-teen kids, creating lesson plans, and making the coursework interesting. The other part of my nervousness comes from leaving my role as a stay-at-home mom. I think Vika will be OK, since she's already completed a year of school, but I'm not sure how Eamon will adjust to being put in preschool. I hope he does well and enjoys having something that is his own. Making new friends, and learning new things may keep him so busy that he will spare barely a thought for the fact that he and I are not spending our days hanging out together. In the end, me going back to work may be harder for me than it is for the kids. We'll just have to cross our fingers and see how it goes.
14 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    You'll do great, Jenni! Definitely remove that sticker...
    What a neat thing to be able to have a positive influence on kids! Something tells me that you and they will flourish while you are their teacher.
    As for Eamon, he would be in preschool whether you were at home or not (I suspect). This way, you'll be busy doing a great job and have less time to worry worry worry.

    Good luck to you!


  2. Bella Says:

    You will do great.

    Eamon and Vika will do fine.

    I don't see how she can get too ticked when she isn't there.


  3. tommie Says:

    You will do great....I often wonder if I will ever go back once the kids are in school. Who knows?

    as for the sticker....what can she do? Best wishes...that is a great age. I taught and was an ass't principal for 12 years at the middle school level. It takes a different breed of teacher for that age, but I loved it.


  4. Rachael Says:

    I've always been a little secretly jealous of the life a teacher with the schedules in sync with the kids, etc. Maybe I'm just jealous of the summers off part. haha.

    I'm sure you'll do great....and I'd take the stickers off too (at least that one). My kids' school always has one week every spring that is "TV turn-off week" and I dread it. I think it's harder on me than them!


  5. Sandi Says:

    You're a natural and will do great as a full time teacher. The separation from Eamon will definitely be difficult. I cried every day for a week when I first had to take you and your brother to pre-school when you were four. YOU TWO adjusted fine! It was me that was the wreck.


  6. kate Says:

    You'll be great! Have you taught sixth grade before?

    Maybe you could just cover the front of the desk with something...

    Have fun!!


  7. Calico Sky Says:

    That's brilliant news! I am so happy for you!!
    Sorry I have been absent, it's been a tough month.
    Back now

    So glad V and E are doing well!!!


  8. Jeff's Place Says:

    It will be fun once you get through the first week.

    Have a blast and try to keep it fun. As for the desk...maybe you can buy some really nice fabric and give it a wrap of "Festiveness"!

    Good luck and have fun, the kiddos will get used to it, honest!
    :)


  9. Hawk Says:

    ohh have fun! I can't wiat till I get my masters so I can begin teachign in a real school!

    As for the desk.. perhaps take in a sheet the first planning day and make it like a skirt around the desk... that way you don't have to take off her property, but you aren't filling the minds of the kids with her thoughts.


  10. Melissa Says:

    It will work itself out. The kids that age like a sense of humor. There are many msn or yahoo groups for grade level teachers that give each other help and ideas. check them out.


  11. Jennefer Says:

    Wow. I have been a drug addict for so long now I don't think I will ever recover. Do you think there is a TV watching rehab? ha ha

    You will be a great teacher! It is nice to know you will just do it for one year- no burn out- just enjoy yourself and the kids! I secretly wish I could teach high school. Maybe some day.


  12. Yeah So Says:

    How exciting, congrats! Im sure you will be great, Vika And Eamon seem to have survived pretty well under your care.


  13. Wendy Says:

    My step-mom taught 6th grade for many years before moving on to principal and eventually assistant to the super. You will do great! I love back to school time of the year!


  14. Arlene Says:

    I'm so excited for you!! You're going to do great, and Vika and Eamon will be just fine! If you don't make it a big deal, they won't either :-)
    WooHoo, a real full fledged ready to learn her some kids teacher!!!!! :-)