How Things are Going

As you can tell from my posts over the last couple of weeks, life at our house has not been a bit choppy. This summer has been especially difficult because I had gotten used to having just Eamon with me during the day, while Vika was at school. The two of us got a long great, and I was able to do all sorts of chores and run errands while Eamon kept me company. I became a bit spoiled, I guess.

Then, when Vika went on summer break, all of a sudden I had two kids clamoring for my attention all day, every day. I also was being constantly tugged back into the role of referee, as they came to me to solve their various battles. Jeff and I generally take a back seat during Vika and Eamon's fights, encouraging them to talk to each other and find a way to solve the problem themselves. But even this gets draining when you are repeating the process ten times a day.

I know, woe is me, right? I did sign on for this instant-mother-of-two role when I chose to adopt, after all. And for the most part, I enjoy it, despite the difficult times.

However, during the last few weeks the kids have been especially testy and have reverted to behaviors I thought we got past a year ago. It is discouraging to see your child come so far, only to have him/her go tumbling back to where they were before. We've had a hard time understanding what caused this setback.

Looking back, it all seemed to start around the time we went to enroll Eamon in preschool. Vika became angry because she felt Eamon was getting special attention (she isn't the only one with a school to go to now). Eamon seems happy enough about going to school, but perhaps there is a little bit of fear in him that is manifesting itself in overly reactive behavior? And maybe both kids are feeling a little anxious about being in school full-time while both Jeff and I work? I can really think of no other reason for this setback.

As for Listening Camp, it did seem to work really well with Eamon. He's been steadily getting back to where he was and has been less inclined to react so intensely to disappointments. Vika, however, is made of much sterner stuff (is anyone surprised?). She's a strong girl who had to take care of herself for too long. She is constantly trying to maintain some sense of control over her world, and part of her still doesn't fully trust us to make sure everything is all right.

We tried a bunch of different parenting tricks to help our kids make better choices, but for some reason, we were not having much success. Then came a comment from Suzanne in response to my Going to Give it a Try post. She wished us luck with Listening Camp and also mentioned that the Love & Logic book was working well with her kids.

Of course! Jeff and I had been using the Love & Logic approach fairly early on with Vika and Eamon, but had gradually let it go by the wayside. There was no reason really, it just sort of happened. Perhaps we were tired, or maybe we were just lazy, but we had reverted to the cajole-and-punish method of parenting, which is not very effective for either of our kids. Suzanne's comment, combined with an incident when I caught myself whining to Vika (the horror!), helped redirect me to the Love & Logic book for some serious reevaluation of my parenting tactics. So far, the L&L techniques have been working really well for us. Jeff and I are less stressed out, and are enjoying parenting again. However, the kids are a bit freaked that they have to start making choices for themselves. It's actually quite interesting to see how they handle their new responsibilities.

Yesterday, it seemed that we exorcised a demon from Vika when she was faced with the dilemma of completing some sight word practice to get her ready for 1st grade. She tried to take control of the situation by refusing to do the work, so I let her stop. Instead of fighting with her, I focused on Eamon's writing practice and told Vika that she could go play in her room while Eamon and I finished. This was not what she wanted to hear at all. She wanted me to react and fight! The next 20 minutes was a combination of Vika hitting (something she almost never does), screaming, and finally, putting on a show of hysterics that would make Meryl Streep proud. ("I can't breathe!" followed by some loud hiccuping-type of noises, gurgling and forced coughs. Then she made her eyes all wide and ineffectively tried to roll them back into her head).

As Eamon and I watched her, he leaned towards me and said, "Mama, Vika's being kind of silly." I agreed, and Vika almost cracked a smile. Then she remembered that she was supposed to be dying, and the theatrics started up again. But, as she realized that we weren't buying it, her heart didn’t seem to be in the performance anymore, and finally, she gave up. Afterwards, she came down, returned to her seat at the table, and finished her sight word practice with no further complaints.

Success! That was quite a breakthrough, in my opinion. Both for Vika and for me.

So thank you blogging community! Thanks for offering support, ideas, and redirection, even though you may not be aware that you are doing it. Parenting is a difficult job, but hearing from others who are in the same boat makes the rough patches much easier to navigate.
15 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Thank you for the update. Not being a parent myself and usually only seeing Vika and Eamon in adorable photos and hearing humorous stories, I did not know you were having such challenges lately. I'm glad though that you found something that is working.

    And by the way, this? "Then she remembered that she was supposed to be dying, and the theatrics started up again." Cracked me UP! She is so going to be in Children's Theatre!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Oh, and also...just TODAY, my mom asked how you, Jeff, and the kids were doing. So thank you for answering her question!


  3. tommie Says:

    yeah...I love Love and Logic. I have had the pleasure of hearing those guys speak. Our school used that program so very successfully.


    My two year old girl will go so far as to hold her breath so long she passes out!! Quite the drama queen...makes me wonder what we have to look forward to!


  4. Bella Says:

    You & Jeff are doing an amazing job with Eamon & Vika. Parenting is not for wimps! I applaud you for facing these issues with the kids head on instead of trying to ignore them.


  5. Rachael Says:

    I haven't read this book, but I'm interested in checking it out. Thanks for the tip.

    My Katya is made of tough stuff too! Actually, both of my daughters can be quite theatrical, so some of it's just "girl", but Katya especially has that "survival of the fittest" orphanage personality that served her well over there, but keeps wanting to rear its ugly head over here where its not needed. I can commiserate with you. The bickering too...WHY must they do that?


  6. kate Says:

    I am a HUGE Love and Logic fan. It's just that...loving and logical. It fits me eally well. (I heard them, too via a school event, tommie.) I'm glad they've given you back your joy. I will say, V's theatrics are hysterical.


  7. Sandi Says:

    I remember my mom telling me that when I was little, I would cry and then hold my breath. My mom, of course, would panic and come running to my side. Until the pediatrician told her - don't give in. The worst that can happen is that she'll pass out for a few seconds but at least she'll stop crying! Ah, tough love 1940's style. Apparently it worked - I can't remember the last time I held my breath to get attention!


  8. Yeah So Says:

    Very timely with my discipline post - I am going to check out that book. Thanks!


  9. Suzanne Says:

    so glad to be of use. We had a big Love and Logic moment last week involving broken pottery, refusal to wear shoes, and blood. I'll hae to blog it up someday.


  10. Susan Says:

    Wow, you've gotten good at juggling! (Good tips for me, even if I'm just adopting one...)

    So, yes, as you know by now...Yuri and Tanya are my team. Didn't ya love them??

    Would love to chat about the baby home, Murmansk, yadda yadda...I'll zap you an email!


  11. Calico Sky Says:

    Thank you for the update. I am sure we all go through these phases and 'checking in' about our techniues is a good thing!
    I have a hard time imagening Vika having a tantrum though!!! :)


  12. Jenni Says:

    Vika rarely throws tantrums, but when she does, she pulls out all the stops! It is quite a sight to behold.


  13. Maggie Says:

    I'm glad you're seeing progress even though you had to get over some big hurdles. I swear Slugger's tougher than I am. Sounds like Vika can really hold her own, too!

    I'm joining the trend and doing listening camp tomorrow. I'm expecting it to be really difficult, but I hope I see some results, too.


  14. Melissa Says:

    I think all girls are drama queens. I can already see it in my daughter and she isn't even 2 yet. When I finish the book I am currently reading, I will have to check that one out.


  15. Rhonda Says:

    You know, L&L worked well with Bonnie, too. I might have to dust off my DVD. Oh and here's something interesting...this behavior with Bonnie started when Clyde began attending her school also. She's been in a lot of trouble since that happened....hmmmmm.

    I swear sometimes we are leading parallel lives.