Pumpkin Top

Finally! Finally I completed a knitting project that turned out exactly the way I wanted it too. It is the "Twisted Pumpkin" hat from Charmed Knits. Let me tell you, for someone as inexperienced as me, the hat was not easy. I started it a couple of times, only to toss it aside in frustration. My gauge was off again, and the hat was not turning out as it should. After about a week-long break, I decided to scrap the whole thing and start all over again. Then, I measured Vika's head, and used math to calculate the number of stitches needed to complete the project correctly (to Mrs. Rangle, my pre-algebra teacher, I sincerely apologize for not believing you when you said we would use that stuff in real life). Here is the final result:

I'm pretty proud of it, and can't wait to take a picture of Vika wearing her hat in the pumpkin patch.

Some of you may also remember the sweater I was working on for Eamon. Well, I nearly finished that too, complete with a capital "E" on the front (thanks Starfish, for the kick in the butt I needed to deviate from the "H" in the pattern). Then the boy goes and has a growth spurt. Much to my dismay, I realized that if he has another one of those before Fall, the sweater will be too small for him. *Sigh* So, I had to scrap that project and start all over again, knitting it at a size that will fit a 6 year old. That ought to accommodate any more pre-cold-season growth spurts. If not, then we'll have to cut back on his food rations, because I am not starting that sweater again!
10 Responses
  1. Melissa Says:

    I hear ya. I am afraid to get fall things for the kids because by december, they will have outgrown them (or possibly before) Ugh. Cute hat.


  2. tommie Says:

    That looks so cute! I am pretty crafty, but I have never knitted. I am very impressed.


  3. Bella Says:

    I am too chicken to try new stitches. Way to go on learning something new.


  4. Sandi Says:

    I can still remember how great it was when you and your brother stopped growing so much! I think your yellow high-top Converse were the first pair of shoes that you didn't grow out of. Happy knitting!


  5. Yeah So Says:

    Ah, now my friend you are a "real" knitter. When you finish a sweater just in time for the recipient to grow out of it, you are officially part of the club.

    The only good thing is that you will be faster the second time around. And good for you for going with the E, I knew you could do it.


  6. Lea Says:

    Wow, that looks great! I can't wait to see it on Vika.


  7. Calico Sky Says:

    Wow, Congratulations,thats an adorable hat! I can't wait to see pictures!!!


  8. Elle Says:

    very cute! I am a terrible knitter.


  9. Anonymous Says:

    It's so cute! Congrats on completing your project!

    And I am sure that Mrs Rangel would forgive you, "DARLIN'!"


  10. kate Says:

    SO cute! I bet it will be just great on Vika. You rock, Jenni!