Disaster Averted!

It all started Sunday evening, right as I was about to settle in for a night of Oscars magic (Yay "Slumdog Millionaire!"). I went to change the desktop on my Mac, and the System Preferences panel was all squished. No problem, I thought. I'll just reboot it and see if that fixes the problem.

Big mistake.

My computer would not reboot. It kept getting hung up before the desktop was loaded, and nothing Jeff and I did could solve the problem. It wasn't long before I was in full-fledged panic mode. No internet, no files, and worst of all, NO GRADEBOOK! This trimester is up next Friday, so losing all my grades was a complete disaster! Frantically, I grabbed my Blackberry and began logging into my e-mail and Facebook. It was the only way I could feel somewhat connected to the outside world. I posted a distress signal of sorts as my Facebook status, and my good friend J9 answered the call. Her husband (JP1) is an IT guy for a local biotech company, and fortunately, he was more than willing to help out.

Now, 3 days later, and a lot on work on JP1's part, I have my computer back! He was able to rescue almost all my files, including my grades, replaced the hard drive for me, and put in Mac's newest operating system! Needless to say, I think he may be my new hero. Batman's got nothing on JP1!

I'll finish this post up with a little Public Service Announcement: Back up your computer. Frequently. Let my story be a cautionary tale to those of you out there who, like me, find reasons why you don't have the time to back up your files. You'll thank me later.
5 Responses
  1. Sandi Says:

    So glad you're back up and running! And, yes, backing up is a pain in the butt, but - holy crap - when you don't you can be doomed.


  2. Calico Sky Says:

    Awful! I have never backed up anything on my computer, to be honest I don't even know what that means!!

    Oh Slumdog, wasn't it wonderful?! I could see it again and again...!


  3. Kris Says:

    so glad everything was saved, what a nightmare!! Thanks for the reminder, it has been awhile since I backed up


  4. Bella Says:

    I am glad you're back up and running!


  5. Melissa Says:

    I still havent backed mine up since my mishap i should know better. glad you got all your grades back. i never just had grades on the computer. i always had them in a book first.